The Department of Zoology is one of the oldest Departments in Maharashtra, The Department was Established in 1963. Late. Dr. A.L. Lohgaonkar was the first Head of the Department. The Post Graduate Course in Zoology was introduced in June 1969 and Late. Dr.S.A.T.Venkatachari took charge as the Head of the Department for PG Zoology. It is due to the great vision of Dr.S.A.T.Venkatachari that Fishery Science & Animal Physiology were introduced as two Specializations for M.Sc. Course.The Department excelled under his stewardship both in teaching and research. Prof. Venkatachari not only created congenial atmosphere for promoting quality research in the Department but also set high standards of excellence by publishing high quality research papers in prestigious International and National journals in those days. Later again, Dr.A.L. Lohgaonkarheaded the Department for long period of 14 years till 1992, when Dr. N.E. Ambore took the Charge of Head of the Department. After the retirement
of Dr.N.E.Ambore in 2006, Dr.L.M. Mudkhede officiated as the Head of the Department, followed by Dr.R.P. Mali. Since 2019, Dr.S.S.Nanware officiated as the Head of Department. The Department is making steady progress under the stewardship of Prof. Dr. S. S. Nanware, by adding new division in PG Zoology, reconstructing the UG and PG curriculum and by introducing Applied Parasitology as new Specialization for PG level. The Department of Zoology is proud to have one of the best Zoological Museums in the country, whichhas been enriched over the years by the great efforts of the faculty members. It has a wide collection of animals belonging to different groups, rare and precious specimens of many endangered species, primate and non-primate mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and fishes, skeleton of vertebrates, abnormal human foetuses and rare and expensive invertebrate specimens. The museum is not only of educational value to the students but also an attraction to the researchers from
all over Maharashtra. The Department is at present offering Fishery Science, Animal Physiology, Applied Parasitology as special and Vertebrates- Structure & Functions, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Mammalian Endocrinology as compulsory subjects to the postgraduate students in their final year. While Invertebrates-Structure & Functions, Biosystematics, Taxonomy & Evolution, Economic Zoology &Animal Behaviour, Ecology & Environmental Pollution, Gamete & Developmental Biology, Biochemistry & Immunologyas compulsory subjectsand Conservation Biology and Pathobiology & Medical Zoology as Elective Papers to the postgraduate students in their First year. The Department has successfully completed two Major Research Projects (01 UGC, New Delhi and 01DST-SERB) and four Minor Research Projects (03 UGC WR Pune and01 SRTM University, Nanded) till date. The department could fetch modern research equipments through funding of UGC and DST. The research centre of the department has registration of 40
researchers in last 5 years, of whom 08 are awarded Ph. D. Degree by the affiliating university. The Department is proud to win laurels in UG and PG results by meritorious positions bagged by its students. It also proclaims the satisfaction with the progression of its students and the placement of the students who have been occupying important positions in academic and administrative arena. The faculty of the Department are involved in quality research work and have publications of their research work in reputed journals of national and international level. The department has proud tradition of Heading the Board of Studies (BoS) in Zoology of the affiliating university as Chairman of BoS in Zoology continuously for past 3 terms.
Facilities in the Department
• One of the Best Museums across the country • State-of-the-art class rooms and laboratories
• Smart Room for Teaching.
• Research Lab well equipped with instruments from different funding agencies
Currently Working Teaching Faculty in the Department:
1. Dr. Sanjay Shamrao Nanware- Professor & Head
2. Dr. H.L.Tamloorkar- Professor
3. Dr. Mrs. M.S.Kadam- Professor
4. Dr. Mrs. N.R.Jaiswal- Professor
5. Dr. Dhanraj Balbhim Bhure- Associate Professor
6. Dr. B.Balaji Rao- Assistant Professor
7. Mr. N.B.Gavhane- Assistant Professor
8. Mr. S.D.Mane- Assistant Professor
9. Dr. Ms. D. V. Totawar - Assistant Professor
Currently Working Non-Teaching Staff in the Department:
1. Mr. V.N. Shejul- Lab. Assistant
2. Mr. S.D. Mirewad- Lab Attendant
3. Mr. S. K. Tidke- Lab Attendant
4. Mr. P.U. Rathod- Lab Attendant
The Department is already one of the pillars of classical Zoology across the country and aims to strengthen this foundation by making deeper and stronger forays into fascinating aspects of the animal world, using modern path breaking techniques.
“Learn With Us And Serve The Society”
• Promote discovery and acquire knowledge of animals, evolution and their environments.
• Holistic development of students and contribute to welfare of society.
• Equip students with practical skills enabling them to function productively in society.
• Impart practical & theoretical knowledge to students.
• Develop personality skills in students through seminars, quiz, group discussions etc.
• Instil research aptitude through investigatory projects.
• Prepare the students for scholarships and employment.
• Promote research through Ph.D. courses and research projects.
• Raise awareness regarding nature and biodiversity.
• Create responsible trained manpower in animal sciences, teaching and research